Thursday, February 27, 2014

Education!


During the past two months, new shoes have been purchased, backpacks and uniforms adorned and the energy of a new school year has been upon us. Now, evenings are spent working on homework and preparing for the next day of school. I continue each day here in Zimbabwe, to become more  interested and passionate about education. I continue to see the way that education empowers young people to make a way for themselves in the future but more importantly develops their character and creativity. 

I have had the joy over the past several months of working with the preschool that exists for the delightful minds of our three and four year olds before they are ready to attend grade zero. Teaching preschool has been a challenge, difficult at times to engage active preschoolers in tight spaces with little resources, but I am quickly learning to be a bit more well planned, laid back and creative.  I have also discovered that even though I do not think I want to be a preschool teacher anytime soon, I love teaching, I love being creative and finding fun ways to teach and I love seeing the children excited about learning! It is so fulfilling to have children run up to me and say "Auntie Lena, look" and they are so excited to show me what they have learned whether it be counting to 20 or  singing head, shoulders, knees and toes! 

I am also going to begin getting more involved with a program at the centre that I am so passionate about.  It is called the Training Centre. The Training Centre began back in August and helps some of our girls who have not done well in school to have a school of their own where they can to learn all kinds of important skills.  The main focus is on agriculture. The girls garden many vegetables and also raise rabbits and chickens. They also learn computer skills, math, English and life skills. The life skills is where I come in, I am working at teaching the girls life skills a couple of days a week. I am still trying to discover what they will learn, but I am hoping to expose them to some creative projects, character building and an active lifestyle. It is a learning process for me but I am grateful that the Centre is giving me this learning opportunity!

On Friday mornings I also have been enjoying working alongside one of my coworkers and going to a local private school to teach grade 7 about character building and anti-bullying. This is also a good new challenge for me. Two afternoons a week I also continue to help another volunteer with literacy groups. 

I currently find myself entrenched in education and I am really enjoying it. I am struggling to figure out what this means for my future. I am still unsure what career to pursue but am so happy for this year of learning and trying new things! SALT, has given me many ways of exploring my interests and developing my gifts!

My lovely preschoolers! If only I could get them to all look at the camera at the same time:)


No comments:

Post a Comment